Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Racist? I know you are but what am I

So on this particular morning as I was completing the last set of sit ups on my almost extinct ab lounge machine, I was treated to a particularly interesting interview on one of my favourite BET shows, My Two Cents. The interviewee (whose name I am yet to determine) had published a book in which the premise was that the black community is to be divided into separate categories based off the intensity of the pigmentation in their skin, in other words, there should be a separation of light skinned blacks and dark skinned blacks. This brought me back to an idea I had in a University Social Psychology class, where we were given an essay to write on stereotypes, and I, being the already extreme ideologist that I am, suggested that racism was inevitable. It damn well cost me a good grade in that class I can tell you that! But the basis of my argument is something I see reflected in society today, which almost forces me to go back to that professor and demand a higher grade.

The idea comes from a social mechanism in which human beings tend to classify things in their surrounding, for several purposes. It’s a phenomenon that we see reflected in a Psychological process called classical conditioning, where a simple Skinner Box demonstrates how a rat can interpret a completely unrelated event like scratching it’s butt, to the distribution of a food pellet. Silly creatures you say… well where do you believe superstitions come from in homo sapiens ? Back in time unrelated events occurring too close to each other led to the belief in things like gods… In modern time it makes people scurry when they see a black cat, or think twice before they open an umbrella in a house. Or more popularly, makes someone forward an email to all the friends on their list, just to prevent having years of bad luck (or bad sex).

But going back to stereotypes, Psychology teaches that classifying certain characteristics, can even save your life in times of quick and urgent decisions (schema). Now I may not be a scientist, but something tells me that if I am ever lost in the woods, a plant with a particularly pungent smell may not be the first one I choose to eat from; An animal with a particularly unpleasant demeanor may not be the one I choose to pet, and a location with a particularly somber appeal may not be the one I choose to take shelter in. Similarly, if I’m walking in the city one night and I see a white bearded man behind me in a sleeveless leather jacket with tattoo’s and a bandana, he wouldn’t be the one I would choose to ask directions from. Maybe past events, experiences or something we read in a book may have taught us how to link these cues to unpleasant outcomes, and my first reaction would be “well maybe he’s a skin head looking to inflict harm on me as a black man”. The extremist may take my leather jacket example and argue that what I have demonstrated is stereotyping which may ultimately lead to racism; but in a split second sort of situation, I’d rather be wrong and alive then right and not alright! The explanation is that as human beings we tend to look for social cues, with the ultimate rationale being our survival.

This now brings me back to the idea I had in that University essay where I mentioned that racism is inevitable. Even if there were no whites, Indians, Chinese or Blacks, people would find some way to categorize human beings and place them into a social hierarchy. Imagine we were all literally colour blind, and all we could see are shades of grey, is it possible that we could all get along as variably grey individuals or would we see the need to classify people, based on hues? I ask this question because I have recognized the human ‘urge’ to classify things into good, better and best, and therefore believe that regardless of circumstance, we would continue to stereotype and group a set of people just to satisfy this ‘urge’.

This is not a completely left field idea. Why is that we see the need to see who is the better specie, the better gender, the better country? Why do we spend large sums of money to find out which country has the prettiest woman, the best designed car, or the smartest set of people? And again why is it necessary to know which country is the most famished, decorated, or even the most violent? The answer to many of these questions is survival, and it does make sense when we relate them to objects in most cases, but why is it necessary to relate them to human beings?

Could it just be narrowed down to an explanation as simple as… survival?

7 comments:

pEtEr said...

i think your theory holds water to an extent. I think the concept 'racism is inevitable' might be better expressed as 'inevitable prejudice' instead though. But i also I don't think the question can be properly explored via psychology alone. It seems to me that the core ideal is more philosophical in nature and an exhaustive treatise would have to start in a realm of pure theory and a perfect world.

Oh ... and Jamaica to di RRRRRLLL!!!

MCuffe said...

True.. there are many other elements to it. And you're right,the argument that I wrote in my paper was "prejudice" was inevitable. At the same time favourable or unfavourable opinions may also lead to the need to classify, rank, or place a value on groups... and when this is applied to the human race is where 'racism' is born. Maybe not inevitable, but it's a slippery slope indeed!

MCuffe said...

and with that being said, Jamaica is just as racist as anywhere in the world LOL we love social groups and hierarchy... where do you think this Uptown, Middle class Downtown rubbish
came from

HeavenlyWillow said...

I hear you...some people don't like to hear it though. And some use it as an excuse not to think about the ways in which they conduct their lives and say 'oh, everyone does it'...as much as I hate the term slippery slope, yeah, it is

pEtEr said...

oh i know we are. my jamaica to di rrl comment was deliberately prejudice, implication that we jamaicans are better than everyone else. Particularly Canadians in fact. :D

MCuffe said...

You know Peter, I'm not gonna go down that road with you... especially since you now have 2 Jamadians on the board lol.

But what I find even more hilarious is how you made that argument. I was going to include you in my post and talk about my 'Black friend in a white Body'. But alot of Jamaicans argue like you since we are all 'out of many one'.

The different hues of black, doesn't really hold water in Jamaica, as much as the social hierarchy argument does. We don't struggle with a "I am a better because I am a different colour' in Jamaica as much as we struggle with 'I am better because I drive a Lexus'. UPT vs Ghetto!!!!

HeavenlyWillow said...

Yes but that stems from the same place...I am better b/c I drive a lexus but the fact that my skin is lighter than yours and I have good hair means people treat me better and affords me more opportunities.
Sad but true.
And don't be vex b/c you're not Jamadian :P